Sydney v Melbourne: It's Not About the Coffee

,

Melbourne has to be my favourite Australian city, and it’s not about the coffee.

australia's best city melbourne
Melbourne
Not that I am really qualified to judge, as I’ve only been to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide (for a total of 24 hours) and Brisbane (for two days of work meetings in The Valley). Oh, and Canberra, who can forget Canberra? Even so, since moving to Melbourne a year ago, it has managed to get under my skin.

It hasn’t always been that way. For the longest time I hated Melbourne. Hated it, with a completely unnecessary and irrational passion. Sydney was the star, mostly because her buildings were taller and shinier, she felt more like a ‘real’ city or at least what my idea of a real city should be.

australia's best city sydney
Sydney
And so it was, I became obsessed with moving to Sydney. Growing up in the Illawarra, I felt a world away from the rattle and hum of the big city. Trips to Sydney were infrequent during my childhood. That said, I still remember the scent of chicken’s feet and sweet smell of Asian lollies from the few journeys made to Paddy’s Market with my grandmother; and the free Tiny Teddies that came warm in a cone from the Arnott’s display that resided in Darling Harbour for years.

Maybe it's because I was small that Sydney seemed so very, very large and far, far away.

is sydney australia's best city
Sydney
The first chance I had, I moved there. Into a crappy room in a dodgy share-house on the edge of the CBD. I shudder to think of the bed bugs and creepy crawlies I was sleeping with. Being on a contract wage rendered me unable to get a lease of my own, so it was the only option I had once the three hour daily commute back to the 'Gong became intolerable.

The bright lights of Sydney flooded my eyes for a number of years, but eventually the superficiality of the relationship became apparent and from there it unravelled.

What I have found is that Sydney is actually an incredibly difficult city to live in. For someone who arrived knowing practically no one I struggled to find any sense of belonging and community (I did eventually opt for joining a political party to find some, but that’s a whole other story). Essentially, Sydney is a transient city, both for those who live and work there, and for those who just come to visit.

Sydney
In Sydney you live north, south, east, inner west or really west, and never the twain shall meet. Except during the hours of about 8.30am and 6.00pm that is. Going over the bridge represents effort – either to play or when trying to get home from play. The same applies to travelling south beyond about Redfern. Going east means buses, which complicates things, while going inner west means you’re probably not very well connected to anywhere other than elsewhere in the inner west if you’re looking for public transport options. And even then, don't ponder getting from one side to the other of that great divide that is Parramatta Road. As for going north west or really west, well, best you forget it altogether.

The result of all this is people going ‘home’ to their part of Sydney when the business day is over. And as for the weekends? I don’t think I ventured into the CBD on a weekend unless I had something particular to do or, more likely, show to see. 

The only time I really began to enjoy living in Sydney was when I moved to the inner west and suddenly realised a number of my friends had done the same. Living in the city is lonely without people, and in Sydney they can be damned hard to find.

is melbourne australia's best city
Melbourne
Almost if by definition Melbourne is different. There seems to be a shared mentality that no matter where you live, at some point you're going to pass through the CBD. So, coming into the city or staying in town presents as no biggie. And you're really in the CBD, with both Flinders Street and Southern Cross stations landing you right in the thick of it. By contrast, Sydney's Central Station invariably leaves you in need of a further connection or a decent walk to your final destination.

The height factor that first drew me to Sydney doesn't exist with Melbourne. Or at least it doesn't feel that way. Maybe that's because the spaces lower to the ground are so well utilised. Every laneway, nook and cranny is taken up by something. From cafes, pop-up stores, even those packed with garbage bins accented by graffiti (street art, not tags) have a certain appeal.

Melbourne
The people in Melbourne don't walk as fast as those in Sydney. I've noticed, as I've had to slow down myself. It's as though they take the time to get where they're going, while the younger prettier sister that Sydney seems to always be rushing somewhere. There's also a certain friendliness to Melbourne. Or, if it's not quite friendliness, a humanity. It is not to say this doesn't exist in Sydney, it certainly does, but you have to go looking for it, whereas in Melbourne, it looks for you.

Melbourne
Fundamentally, Sydney is for tourists and showing off, Melbourne is for settling in and taking the time to not only make the perfect cup of coffee but to also enjoy the time it takes to drink it.

I'm beginning to think Melbourne is to my 30s as Sydney was to my 20s. Next week I turn 31.

0 comments:

Post a Comment